Woman Hospitalized After SUV Goes Airborne, Lands on Another Vehicle in Manchester

A woman from Manchester Township is currently hospitalized after experiencing a medical episode that caused her SUV to go airborne and land on another vehicle, according to Manchester police.

Anna Grissell, an 84-year-old resident of Whiting, remains in stable condition at AtlantiCare Regional Medical Center in Atlantic City, where she was flown for treatment of her injuries. Capt. James Komsa confirmed that her condition is non-critical.

The incident occurred around 3 p.m. last Saturday on Congasia Road near Sunset Road, as reported by Komsa.

Authorities investigating the crash determined that Grissell was traveling north in a white 2021 Subaru Crosstrek on Congasia Road when she experienced a medical episode, leading to the unfortunate chain of events. The stretch of Congasia Road near the Sunset Road intersection features a curve, which the Subaru failed to negotiate. Consequently, the vehicle veered off the road, striking a sign.

Continuing its trajectory, the Subaru crossed the intersection with Sunset Road, leaving the road for a second time. It collided with another sign, went airborne for approximately 50 feet, and struck several shrubs and trees before finally coming into contact with a bush. The impact with the bush caused the vehicle to lift onto its two driver’s side tires, and it continued moving forward into the parking lot at Deerfield Hall, located at 6 Congasia Road. There, it collided with two parked cars—an unoccupied 2017 Hyundai Elantra and a white 2007 Toyota Camry.

The force of the impact propelled the Subaru into the air once again, landing on top of the Hyundai, as stated by Komsa. Fortunately, both the Hyundai and the Toyota were unoccupied at the time of the incident.

Grissell was wearing her seat belt during the accident, according to authorities. She sustained injuries to her abdomen and neck, requiring extrication from the vehicle. The Whiting Volunteer Fire Company, which responded to the scene, confirmed that Grissell was freed through the windshield.

Multiple emergency response teams assisted at the scene, including members from the Whiting Volunteer Fire Company, Joint Base Fire Department, U.S. Air Force Rescue, Manchester Township Division of Emergency Services firefighters and emergency medical technicians, Robert Wood John University Hospital paramedics, and the Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital LifeFlight medevac helicopter.

- Advertisement -


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Most Popular

Toms River Democrats Appoint Ben Giovine As Mayoral Nominee

Democrats in Toms River have found their replacement for...

FIRST REPORT: Jackson Twp. Agrees To Settle New Jersey AG’s Lawsuit Alleging Anti-Jewish Discrimination

The Jackson Township Council on Tuesday evening voted to...

VIDEO TOUR: Seared – Lakewood’s Newest Luxury Steakhouse

Over the past month, social media has been alight...