The Lakewood Board of Fire Commissioners, Fire Chief Jonathan T. Yahr, Fire Prevention Specialist Sima Clapman, and the members of the Lakewood Fire Department remind the community about the importance of Thanksgiving fire safety.
Thanksgiving is a time for gratitude, celebration, and gathering with loved ones, but it’s also a period when fire-related incidents can increase. With a focus on fire prevention and safety, the Lakewood Fire Department aims to ensure that everyone in Lakewood enjoys a safe and joyous Thanksgiving season.
To help families and individuals stay safe during this festive time, the Lakewood Fire Department offers the following Thanksgiving fire safety tips:
- Safe Cooking Practices:Ensure that someone is always present in the kitchen while cooking. Keep flammable items, such as dish towels and oven mitts, away from the stovetop. Use a timer as a reminder when cooking dishes that require longer preparation.
- Deep-Frying Turkey:If you plan to deep-fry a turkey, do so outdoors and keep the fryer a safe distance away from the house and other structures. Make sure the turkey is completely thawed and dry before submerging it in hot oil.
- Smoke Alarms and Carbon Monoxide:Ensure your smoke alarms and CO alarms are in working order. Test them before the holiday and change the batteries if necessary.
- Candles: If you use candles as part of your Thanksgiving decorations, keep them away from flammable materials and never leave them unattended.
- Fireplace Safety: If you have a fireplace, use a fireplace screen to prevent sparks from escaping. Dispose of ashes in a metal container and store it outdoors.
- Escape Plan: Discuss a fire escape plan with your family, including two ways to exit each room. Make sure everyone knows where to meet outside in case of a fire.
Chief Yahr of the Lakewood Fire Department, who stresses the importance of Thanksgiving fire safety, said, “We want everyone in our community to enjoy a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday without the worry of fire-related incidents. By following these safety tips, we can reduce the risk and ensure a safe and memorable celebration.”
The Lakewood Fire Department encourages all residents and visitors to prioritize safety during the Thanksgiving holiday and make it a tradition to practice fire safety. By taking these precautions, everyone can all contribute to a safer and happier holiday season.