Agudath Israel’s Rabbi Avi Schnall joined Governor Phil Murphy at a signing ceremony for the Fiscal Year 2023 budget, which comes with a $50.6 billion price tag.
Rabbi Schnall said the highlights of the budget that most directly and significantly impact frum New Jersey residents are:
- $3 million in additional Nonpublic schools security funding
- $2 million in additional funding for remidial services for Nonpublic schools
- $2 million in additional funding for Nonpublic school transportation
- $3 million in additional funding for the State Nonprofit homeland security grants
- First time in 15 years the per student allocation for remedial services was increased.
Rabbi Schnall also noted that this was the first budget in which new Senate President Nick Scutari presided.
“I was quite impressed with how he handled the process,” which is highly stressful considering the numerous competing interests attempting to influence budget allocations.
Following the signing ceremony, Rabbi Schnall met with Scutari, with the two getting to know each other and discussing various aspects of the budget.