NJDOT is undertaking a project to address deficient pavement along a 6.9-mile section of Route 9 between Milepost 95.0 (near Swain Avenue) in Toms River and Milepost 101.9 (near 2nd Street) in Lakewood.
The project also will address operational and safety needs at select signalized intersections by adding turn lanes while minimizing impacts to right of way and the environment.
The proposed project is needed to make improvements to this section of the Route 9 corridor and improve motorist safety by:
• Addressing existing pavement deficiencies by milling and paving the roadway and providing an additional High-Performance Thin Overlay;
• Improving existing signalized intersections by bringing them up to current MUTCD and ADA standards and providing additional turn-lanes on Route 9 and/or approaching side streets at select locations to provide congestion relief and improve safety;
• Adding two new traffic signals in Lakewood Township at the Oak Street and Chateau Drive/Broadway intersections;
• Addressing pedestrian needs by implementing ADA improvements and installing ADA compliant sidewalks where feasible and where need exists;
• Adding left turn slots on Route 9 to select un-signalized side street locations with heavier turn volumes;
• Widening the Route 9 mainline at select locations to increase outside shoulder width and to provide a more consistent cross section with bicycle compatibility;
• Updating guide rail to current standards;
• Addressing storm water management by updating roadway drainage to meet current standards; and
• Improving access to and from adjacent properties on Route 9 to enhance safety
During resurfacing, traffic will be maintained utilizing alternating one-way traffic or one-direction detours. Due to the high traffic volume and seasonal traffic impacts, work that
allows only a single-lane or diversion of traffic has been limited to late night hours. Work that can be performed maintaining all existing through lanes or by shifting lanes will be permitted during the daytime.
Watch a video presentation of the proposed project below.