With the Pesach nearly upon us, the Lakewood Board of Fire Commissioners in
conjunction with Fire Chief Jonathan Yahr, Fire Prevention Coordinator Jacob Woolf, Fire
Department Chaplain Rabbi Moshe Rotberg, members of the Lakewood Fire Department and the Office of the Ocean County Fire Marshall remind the community to be mindful of the following hazards to ensure a safe Chametz Burning experience.
Only use the following sites that have been pre-designated and authorized by the Ocean
County Fire Marshal’s Office. These sites will be open on Friday, April 15, from 7AM to
1. Parking Lot of Jersey Shore BlueClaws Stadium
2. Patrick Park (Vine Street);
3. D’zio Park (New Hampshire Avenue & Locust Street);
4. Sunset Road Synagogue (Khal Zichron Yaakov/Rabbi Gissinger’s);
5. Private Way and 7th Street – BMG
6. Clifton Avenue and 10th Street – BMG
7. Brook Road Park (Frank Bartolf Park); and
8. Pine Park.
The Fire Department asks that only Chametz which must be burned as required be placed in the burn sites. In past years, people have thrown all types of garbage into the fires. This contributes to larger than necessary fires that increase the risk of injury.
DO NOT throw any flammable or combustible items into the fire or any bottles, both glass
DO NOT throw any cans (i.e., baked beans, soups, etc.) into the fire as these may explode
and lead to hot liquid being expelled into the crowd.
DO NOT wrap your bread in silver foil as it will not burn.
The Fire Department would like to remind everyone that unauthorized burns are illegal. However, if you must burn the Chometz on your own, only use a portable, outdoor, solid-
fuel-burning fireplace that may be constructed of steel, concrete, clay or other
Fireplaces (i.e., fire pits, chimneys, charcoal barbecue grill, etc.) shall be used in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions and shall not be placed
within 15 feet of a structure (i.e.: house, shed, deck, etc.) or combustible material.
Do not leave barbecue grills unattended and keep children as well as pets away. Avoid wearing loose fitting clothing when igniting and using a fireplace. Make sure fireplaces are extinguished before leaving.