On Sunday morning, members of the Manchester Township Police Department and the Manchester Township Volunteer Department responded to a Cypress St. residence for a report of a structure fire.
Upon arrival, smoke was visible coming from the rear of the quad-unit building. Responding fire departments were able to contain the fire damage to the kitchen area of the residence.
The home sustained extensive fire and water damage to the rear of the residence. Due to the building being a quad-unit, smoke traveled through the shared attic space and into the other three units. Police and Manchester EMS personnel were able to evacuate occupants of three of the residences and one was determined to be unoccupied at the time of the fire.
None of the residents were injured. Two cats were also removed from one of the adjacent units.
Preliminary investigation revealed that the fire appeared to be accidental in nature.
Assisting at the scene were EMT’s from the Manchester Township EMS, Ridgeway Volunteer Fire Department, Manchester Volunteer Fire Department, Whiting Volunteer Fire Department, Pleasant Plains Fire Department, Ocean County Fire Marshall, Manchester Township Building Department, Manchester Township OEM and the Red Cross. The residence was deemed uninhabitable by the Building Department official.